“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
COMMUNITY SERVICE REQUIREMENT
All students will be required to perform the required amount of hours of service per grade level each semester. Examples of acceptable service include:
- Direct Service to the poor.
- Service with organizations that indirectly serve the poor. (In this case, students should be prompted to consider how their work indirectly served the poor)
- Service at or for a Church or faith community.
- Service at City or County organizations and/or organized event.
- Service to Saint Joseph Academy community and/or special SJA events.
A listing of approved and reliable service sites and the hour log sheet will be available through the student’s Religious Studies teacher. The list is maintained by Brother Michael Williams in the Campus Ministry office (room 135). Brother Michael also communicates new opportunities for service through the SJA announcements throughout the school year. If students are planning to perform service at a site not listed on the Approved Service Contact Information List, they should consult with their teacher for approval. In addition, students are encouraged to inform their Religious Studies teacher of any service opportunities they would like to share with their classmates.