"Throughout life, our inner spiritual reality interacts dynamically with the experiences we undergo. On the one hand, what we term our spirituality is moulded as we embrace the experiences of our lives. On the other, this spirituality shapes the way we understand and relate to the world, to people and to God."
-Water From the Rock
7th, 8th, and 9th graders have one-day retreat experiences at a Catholic retreat center in Brownsville, TX.
- The 7th grade retreat focuses on the Marist Family.
- The 8th grade retreat discusses on Peer Pressure.
- The 9th grade retreat is a day on Prayer & Spirituality.
Upper-Level Retreat Experiences
- 10th grade students participate in a refugee simulation- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) “Passages.” This simulation game was designed to help young learners gain a better understanding of the plight that refugees face. Students engaged in a variety of activities through a 3 hour role playing experience. Each child, teacher, and volunteer was given a role within the Refugee Passages experience – be it family member, soldier, child, government worker, etc. Through the active role play, students increased overall awareness of the emotions and difficult choices that refugees face. At the end of the day, students process the experience and end with a communal prayer. (Watch video:)
- Juniors participate in a three day Marist Youth Encounter Christ retreat which is based on an established Marist program and is consistent in its presentation each year. There are two Encounters each year – one in the Fall and one in the Spring. Encounter is conducted in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, in a natural and peaceful setting that encourages prayer and reflection.
- Senior retreat is also a 3-day experience and is held in New Braunfels, Texas. This retreat is based on the Marks of a Marist Student. The entire senior class is strongly encouraged to attend this last retreat of their high school career at Saint Joseph Academy. It is a time of reflection, sharing, prayer, and fun.